- Google Docs, Sheet, Slides
- Google Drive Online and File Stream
- Google Photos
- Google Analytics
- Google Calendar
GOOGLE DRIVE ONLINE AND FILE STREAM
- Available product licences
- Differences between Google Drive Online and File Stream
- Accessing your Google Drive account
- Downloading and installing File Stream
- Using File Stream offline
AVAILABLE PRODUCT LICENSES
All members of the HTSI community have the opportunity to use the following products for free thanks to our collaboration agreement with Google:
- Google Drive Online. This is the online version of Google for storing files and/or other Google products. No installation is necessary.
- File Stream. This is the desktop version of Google Drive, available for both Windows and Mac. Users must download and install the software on their computer. File Stream is a new Google product that substitutes the desktop version of Google Drive. The differences are explained below.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN GOOGLE DRIVE ONLINE AND FILE STREAM
- The online version of Google Drive allows you to save files, photographs, videos, etc., and to open some of them using Google products: Documents, Sheets, presentations, etc.
- The online tools in Google Drive allow you to work as a team, with multiple users able to work on the same document simultaneously.
- File Stream is a tool that substitutes the desktop version of Google Drive, allowing you to access both your Drive unit and any collaborative or team units you have access to.
ACCESSING YOUR GOOGLE DRIVE ACCOUNT
These tools can be accessed by following these steps:
- Visit https://google.com or .es
- Activate your account by clicking on Sign in and entering your email@example.com email address and password
- One you have signed in (see Figure 1), you can decide whether you want to access the Google Drive tools directly by clicking on the "New" icon, or by selecting a previously saved document.
Figure 1. Options available once you have signed in at google.com.
DOWNLADING, INSTALLING AND ACTIVATING FILE STREAM
- Sign in to your Google account (see Accessing your Google Drive account)
- Click on the wheel in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and download the installer by clicking on Download Drive File Stream (see Figure 2)
- You will be sent to a new screen where you can select either Windows or Mac (see Figure 3)
- Once the download is complete, run the file to begin the installation process (see Figure 3). An internet connection is required for the installation process
- Once the installation is complete, you will be asked to sign in once again (see Figure 4)
- Once the installation and configuration are complete, you can access your files using Explorer in Quick Access, Devices and Units or by clicking on the lower right-hand corner (see Figures 5, 6 and 7)
Figure 2. Select this option to download the Office desktop version
Figure 3. Screen for selecting an operating system.
Figure 4. You must sign in again with the same user information used to access Google Drive (your HTSI user information).
Figure 5. Quick Access can be used to directly access Google Drive (File Stream).
Figure 6. We have another Google Drive access (File Stream) beside the C: Local Disk. In my case this is J:, but this may change.
Figure 7. By clicking on the tab in the lower right-hand corner, we can access the Drive icon that takes us to Google Drive (File Stream)
USING FILE STREAM OFFLINE
For offline access to File Stream files, we need to activate offline availability for the files in question.
- Access File Stream (see Figures 5,6,7)
- Find the necessary files
- Select the necessary files, right click, find the Drive File Stream option, deselect the “Online Only” option, and repeat the process to select the “Available Offline” option (see Figure 8).
Figure 8. First deselect the “Online Only” option to unlock, and then select “Available Offline”.